Wednesday 3 June 2015

Navigating to and launching apps

Navigating on a smartwatch screen can be tricky, pokes and swipes can go awry, and finding the right app at the right time can be fiddly at best.

I recently found a nice little launcher app called Wear Mini Launcher.  It can be configured to your liking, but in essence it provides a nice little tray with smaller icons squeezed onto the screen, which means there's a lot less scrolling to find the one that you want.  Mine is configured to show 9 apps on the screen at once, as opposed to the 3 apps which the standard menu displays.

I've recently heard about a new launcher called QiLaunch Wear from a company called Quantum Interface.  It's currently in beta, but they claim it is a much faster and easier way to navigate.

You place your finger on the watch face and the apps appear on the screen and start scrolling through. Simply click on the app that you want, with no need to scroll yourself.  It analyses the motion of your finger to predict your intent, the interface reacts to changes of speed and direction.

For an idea of how this might look, check out this YouTube video...



I'm interested in trying this out, so I've signed up for the private beta.  If I get accepted, I'll try it out and post again with my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment